Friday, April 22, 2016

Exam on Tuesday, 05-10-16

Dear Hellenists,

Our third midterm exam, which is scheduled for Tuesday, May 10, 1:30–4:30 p.m., will have the following format.

(1) Vocabulary:
I'll give you English nouns, adjectives, pronouns, or verbs, you give me their Greek vocabulary entries as they appear on Quizlet (full forms, no abbreviations). The focus will be on the vocabulary for Groton Lessons 17–25.
NOTE: See my next post on the specialized Quizlet vocabulary lists to help you prepare.
(2) Declining articles-participles-nouns:
I'll give you English article-participle-noun trios in the singular or plural, you give me the Greek forms in the four major cases. The articles and participles must modify the nouns in case, number, and gender.
NOTE: To help streamline your preparation, all participles will be derived from the verb παιδεύω.
(3) Verb clusters:
I'll give you an English verb and a specific person/number. You give me all of the indicative forms in that person/number in the present, imperfect, future, aorist, perfect, and pluperfect tenses, active, middle, and (where appropriate) passive
(4) Passage to translate:
A short passage of connected Greek prose, using vocabulary and grammar through chapter 25. Read it carefully and write out your translation.
(5) Reading out loud (take-home portion, due Saturday, May 14, 11:00 p.m.):
Practice reading the midterm passage out loud: use Groton's textbook to help you determine vowel/consonant sounds and place accents. When you have perfected your reading, call my campus voice mail and read me the Greek over the phone. 
NOTE: Please prepare for and complete this portion of the exam on your own. I'll supply a copy of the passage for you to practice on and mark up. (No, you do not have to memorize the passage. Yes, you can read from the copy.)
*                    *                    *                    *                    *

For this exam, you'll be responsible for all concepts and vocabulary through ΑΩ Lesson 25.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

DC

No comments:

Post a Comment